- Native to North America
- An excellent source of antioxidants due to their high amounts of flavonoids
- 84% water
- A low glycemic food which helps in regulating blood sugar levels
- A good source of fiber which can assist in keeping GI system regular.
- Protective in slowing oxidative stress which helps slow again and protect against cancer.
- Helpful in heart and brain health and improved memory due to flavonoid content.
BLUEBERRY BUTTERMILK PANCAKES
- 2 C flour
- 3 T sugar
- 1 ½ t. baking powder
- 1 ½ t. baking soda
- 1 t. salt
- 2 ½ C. buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 3 T. unsalted butter
- 1 C. blueberries
Whisk flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together in a bowl. Make a well in the center and pour in the buttermilk, eggs, and melted butter. Whisk all ingredients together without over beating. Gently fold in blueberries.
Heat a nonstick skillet over low heat and add 1 T vegetable oil. Increase heat to medium-low and ladle 1/3 C batter into skillet. Do not overcrowd. Flip pancakes when bubbles cover the surface and bottoms are brown, about 2-3 minutes. Cook other side till golden brown and remove to plate to serve hot with maple syrup.
- Blueberries decrease cardiovascular risk factors in obese men and women with metabolic syndrome
- Oxidants, Antioxidants, and the degenerative diseases of aging
- Cellular antioxidant activity of common fruits