This blog feature is a write-up from Sheri Branson, Full Time Instructor in the Health, Wellness & Physical Education academic department.
- Watermelons are 92% water and consuming them can help you stay hydrated.
- There are 1200 different varieties.
- The largest watermelon grown weighed 350 pounds!
- Seedless watermelon does not mean they were genetically engineered.
- Watermelons can help prevent cancer due to being a great source of the antioxidant, lycopene, which can help lower blood pressure, cholesterol and prevent oxidative damage.
- Watermelons also contain vitamins and minerals including Vitamin A, B1, B5, and B6, C, potassium, and magnesium.
- Watermelon can improve digestion due to its water and fiber content.
- August 3 is National Watermelon Day!
Watermelon Feta Salad
- 2 C. cubed watermelon
- 2 T crumbled feta
- 6 mint leaves finely chopped
- ½ lime
Combine the first 3 ingredients. Squeeze the lime juice into the salad and mix well. Serve Chilled and enjoy!