Membership Frequently Asked Questions
- I’m a Duke employee, can my spouse or children have a Rec & PE Membership?
Yes. You can enroll your spouse or children ages 10-26 in a Family Annual Rec & PE Membership once they have been sponsored for a DukeCard.
- I’m a student, do I need to enroll in a Rec & PE Membership?
Undergraduate students’ Rec & PE Memberships are paid for via the recreation fee on their bursar account. Most full-time Graduate Students in their first through third year of their program pay for their Rec & PE Memberships via the recreation fee on their bursar account. Graduate Students in studies beyond their third year receive a Rec & PE Membership.
- I’m a student, can my spouse have a Rec & PE Membership?
Yes. Once your spouse has received their Spouse DukeCard they can enroll in an Annual, Semester, or Monthly Rec & PE Membership.
- Can my Domestic Partner enroll in a Duke Rec & PE Membership?
Unfortunately domestic partners are not eligible for a Duke Rec & PE Membership. This is in alliance with the University policy, as well as the DukeCard policy. Anyone who does not have a direct Duke affiliation (partner) must be sponsored by someone with a Duke affiliation (you) to obtain a DukeCard. Once this process has been complete, the individual can then purchase a membership. Since domestic partners are not eligible to receive the benefits of a spouse they are not able to receive a DukeCard, and we are not able to provide that individual enrollment in a Rec & PE Membership. If you are able to obtain a DukeCard for your partner please reach out as we would love to have your partner and you as members.
- Which recreation center can I use with a Rec & PE Membership?
A Duke Rec & PE Membership provides you with a membership to both Brodie Recreation Center on East Campus and Wilson Recreation Center on West Campus.
- I went to enroll in a Rec & PE Membership on the DukeCard Online portal but it is only giving me the option for an Annual Rec & PE Membership and paying via Payroll Deduct. How do I enroll in a different Rec & PE Membership type and/or pay upfront?
The DukeCard Online Portal is available for Duke Employees wishing to enroll in an Annual Rec & PE Membership and pay via payroll deduct. All other members of the Duke Community wishing to enroll in a Duke Rec & PE Membership can do so by visiting the DukeCard Office located at 012 Telecom Building on West Campus or Duke Clinics Building, Red Zone.
- Where do I enroll in a Rec & PE Membership?
- The DukeCard Office located at 012 Telecom Building on West Campus or the Duke Medical Center Card Office located at Duke Clinics Building, Red Zone.
- Faculty and Staff planning to enroll in an Annual Rec & PE Membership may enroll on the DukeCard Online Portal at https://dco31.oit.duke.edu/reccenter/ or LIVE FOR LIFE website at https://hr.duke.edu/wellness/fitness
- Are Rec & PE Memberships Prorated?
Yes. Annual and Monthly Rec & PE Memberships are prorated based on the date of enrollment.
- How do I sponsor my spouse and/or children?
Faculty and Staff may visit https://idms.oit.duke.edu/affiliates/sponsor to sponsor each person in need of a DukeCard. Alumni may visit http://alumni.duke.edu to sponsor each person in need of a DukeCard. Once verification of sponsorship completion is received, visit a DukeCard Office to get a DukeCard for each individual. Anyone receiving a DukeCard must be present.
- How do I cancel my Rec & PE Membership?
Rec & PE Memberships have a no cancellation policy and the duration is determined by the type of membership (Annual, Semester, Monthly). For details visit Refunds & Cancellations Policies page.
- What is the length of my Membership?
- Annual Rec & PE Memberships begin on July 1 and expire on June 30 of each year.
- Fall Semester Rec & PE Memberships are from August 7 through December 31.
- Spring Semester Rec & PE Memberships are from January 1 through May 6.
- Monthly Rec & PE Memberships end on the last day of the month.
- Summer Rec & PE Memberships begin on May 7 and end on August 5.
- Can I enroll in a Rec & PE Membership at any time during the year?
Yes. Duke Community members can enroll at any time of the year in any Rec & PE Membership type.
- How do I renew my Rec & PE Membership?
- Annual Rec & PE Memberships can be renewed on the DukeCard Online Portal or at the DukeCard Office.
- Semester Rec & PE Memberships can by renewed at the DukeCard Office.
- Monthly Rec & PE Memberships can be renewed at the DukeCard Office.
- How many people are a part of a Family Rec & PE Membership?
Family Annual Rec & PE Membership includes two adults and up to two children ages 10-26. Any additional children can be added at an additional cost per child.
- Do I need to sign a waiver?
Rec & PE Members sign a waiver at the time of enrollment. Students sign a waiver as a part of coming to campus. Guests sign a waiver when they first enter a Recreation Center.
- Who can enroll in a Rec & PE Membership?
Rec & PE Memberships are offered to DukeCard carrying members of the Duke Community. This includes Students, Student Spouses, Alumni, Faculty, Staff, Visiting Scholars, Retirees, and the families of Alumni, Faculty, and Staff via a Family Annual Rec & PE Membership.
- I have someone visiting me, can they use the recreation centers?
Yes. Rec & PE Members may purchase a guest pass at the front desk of either Recreation Center for visitors. For my information about the Guest Pass Policy, visit the Facility Operating Policies page.
- Is parking included in my Rec & PE Memberships?
No, parking is not included in a Rec & PE Membership. For details about parking accessibility, visit our Parking Information page or the Duke Parking & Transportation site directly.
- Where can I park when using Wilson Recreation Center or Brodie Recreation Center?
For details about parking accessibility, visit our Parking Information page.
- I don’t have a parking permit, how can I park when using the Recreation Centers?
Individuals without a Duke parking permit can request a Night Permit from Duke Parking and Transportation, which allows parking in the lots around the Recreation Centers from 5pm to 7:29am on weekdays, and anytime on the weekends. Visit the Parking and Transportation website for more parking information: parking.duke.edu.
- What payment options do I have for a Rec & PE Membership?
- Undergraduate Students: Recreation Fees on Bursar Account
- Graduate Student year 1-3: Recreation Fees on Bursar Account
- Graduate Student year 4+: Do not need to pay for Rec & PE Memberships
- Alumni: upfront via cash, check, or debit card.
- Employees: Payroll deduct or upfront
- Visiting Scholars & Retirees: upfront via cash, check, or debit card.
- Student Spouses: upfront via cash, check, or debit card.
- Can my dependent who is a college student purchase a Rec & PE Membership while home for the summer?
Duke Faculty and Staff who are current Rec & PE Members and have a legal dependent who is attending college at another institution are able to enroll their dependent(s) in a Summer Semester Rec & PE Membership or add them to a Family Annual Rec & PE Membership. The dependent must first be sponsored for a DukeCard, via the OIT Guest Tool, which once approved can be purchased at the DukeCard Office. The Duke employee must have an active Semester or Annual Rec & PE Membership in order for their dependent to enroll in a Rec & PE Membership.
I am a Duke alumni, can I still access the Recreation Centers?
Yes! Duke alumni have two ways of accessing the Recreation Centers. One is to enroll in any Rec & PE Membership type by visiting a DukeCard Office. The second is that all alumni receive 5 free visits to the Recreation Centers each year. Visits renew on January 1 and can be seen and used on the Alumni Association App.
Can I purchase a day pass?
Individuals with an active DukeCard but who have not enrolled in a Rec & PE Membership may sponsor themselves for a Guest Pass and pay via FLEX. Guest Passes are priced based on the affiliation of the individual purchasing the guest pass. Individuals who sponsor themselves as a guest may not sponsor anyone else as a guest and must purchase a Rec & PE Membership to sponsor guests.