Positions by Area
- Manage day to day operations of the pool including keeping patrons safe, checking pool chemicals, greeting patrons, and controlling pool access. Must be 15 years of age or older and have a valid American Red Cross Lifeguard/CPR/AED/First Aid certification. Hours range 5 hours to 19.9 hours a week.
- Teach learn-to-swim courses through group learn to swim classes or private one on one instruction. Must be 16 years of age or older. This position requires a mature individual with excellent communication skills. Hours range from 5 hours to 19.9 hours a week.
Contact the Aquatics mailbox for more information.
Guest Services Attendant
- Assist in the day to day management of the Recreation Facilities for the benefit of the members and the University community. This position requires a mature individual with good communication and leadership skills. Hours Range: 5 hours to 19.9 hours per week
Recreation Facility Monitor
- Assist in the day to day management of the Recreation Facilities for the benefit of the members and the University community. This position requires a mature individual with good communication and leadership skills.
Weight Room Attendant
- Assist in the day to day management of the Wilson Weight Room for the benefit of the members and the University community. This position requires a mature individual with good communication and leadership skills. *Must be able to lift 50 lbs.
Contact the Rec & P.E. mailbox for more information.
Fitness & Wellness
Group Fitness Instructor
- Lead classes at Wilson, Brodie, Edens residence hall and other areas as needed throughout campus. Instructors will teach safe, effective workouts that are easily modified for all fitness levels. Other responsibilities include participation tracking, attending in-services, and assisting with special events. You will be required to teach a minimum of two classes per week.
- Work with all members of our facilities (both Brodie and Wilson) that request personal training. You will provide clients with a safe, individualized workout catering to their goals. Attending monthly in-services, assisting with special events, as well as client tracking are some of the additional job responsibilities. You will be required to work a minimum of 5 hours per week!
- Provide a free service to students and other patrons that offers easily accessible fitness related knowledge, overall safety and is meant for newly certified personal trainers or those that are interested in becoming certified. You will serve as a resource for members on equipment usage, proper exercise form, as well as run weekly Fitness Challenges.
Contact the Fitness mailbox for more information.
Intramural Sports Official
- Responsible for the officiating of intramural sport contests and special events. The Intramural Sport Official is knowledgeable of general sports rules and responsible for enforcing the policies and procedures set forth by the Intramural Department. Sports officials must attend mandatory officials' meetings and clinics to learn rules, mechanics, and positioning. Intramural Sports Officials must be able to manage conflict effectively and efficiently. Furthermore, the position will manage critical incidents as necessary, officiate highly competitive games, and perform other special duties as assigned. No prior experience necessary. Training will be provided. Must be available to work evening and weekend hours; available to work a minimum of 2 nights per week.
Contact the Intramural Sports mailbox for more information.
- Generate creative ideas, produce content for Duke Recreation & Physical Education's social media accounts, and assist in promotion of programs, events, and facilities to the greater Duke community.
- Conceptualize and produce visually appealing marketing collateral that promotes Duke Recreation & Physical Education's programs, services, events and facilities across multiple marketing channels.
Contact the Rec & P.E. mailbox for more information.
Climbing Wall Monitor
- Responsible for coordinating all climbing wall and equipment rental needs. Responsibilities will vary from checking-in climbers, conducting belay tests, facilitating equipment rentals, registering trips participants and general management of Outdoor Adventures activities. Staff will strive to create a fun and welcoming environment by providing top of the line customer service and educating customers on everything Outdoor Adventures and the surrounding area has to offer.
- Responsible for planning and facilitating our various outdoor trips and clinics. With skills ranging from backpacking to rock climbing Trip Leaders can specialize in an area or train to lead any of our trips. All Trip Leaders must go through the Leadership Development Program or equivalent training.
Duke Adaptive Climbing Volunteer
- Duke Adaptive Climbing is a program that empowers individuals with disabilities through rock climbing experiences. We offer 3 monthly climbs throughout the triangle including Chapel Hill, North Raleigh/Morrisville and here at Duke. All volunteers will go through a training focused on working with individuals with disabilities prior to volunteering.
Contact the Outdoor Adventures mailbox for more information.
- Work with medical professionals, coaches and athletes to ensure that players are ready to play, visit drop-in clinic hours, and receive proper treatment in the event of illness or injury. Evaluate the physical condition of athletes, assist with establishing dietary and fitness plans, and use their knowledge of sports-related injuries to diagnose and treat players. Hours Range: Minimum 10 hours to 19.9 hours per week. Must be certified in the State of North Carolina.
Sport Club Supervisor
- The Sport Club Supervisor provides direction and support for club officers and members by serving as a liaison between sport clubs and the Sport Club professional staff. Sport Club Supervisors are responsible for assisting with the day-to-day office administration of all 34 clubs, supervising games/events, and maintaining regular communication with club officers. Minimum 8 hours per week.
Contact the Sport Clubs mailbox for more information.